Winter Band and Choir Concerts Brighten the Season

The holidays are right around the corner, and there’s no better way to get into the festive spirit than with music. On December 10th, the community had the opportunity to attend Cooper’s winter concert with band students from 5th to 12th performing. Choir students from 6th through 12th took the stage on December 11th to showcase their talents.  Both groups put in lots of time and effort in preparation for their performances, starting all the way back in October.   

The Wind Ensemble ended the concert by playing “Scarborough Fair”, classic Christmas song “Sleigh Ride”, and a conglomerate of different holiday songs, tilted “Christmas Lights.” Percussionists from grades 6th thought 11th opened the concert with “Jingle Bells?”, which they performed three years ago. I am a percussionist in band and personally, my favorite part of the concerts is seeing that all the time and effort I, and everyone else, put into the music has paid off. It is such a rewarding experience to stand on the stage and be a part of a group that is making such wonderful music.  

The Upper School choir sang “Angels in the Bleak Midwinter”, “Breath Slow Ye Winds”, and “Veni, Veni”. When asked what her favorite part of choir is, freshman Lily Johnson said, “I enjoy learning all the new music and working with my fellow sopranos to figure it out.” She also concluded that her favorite song the choir sang was “Veni, Veni”.  

I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy all the wonderful music that was performed over these few days. Everyone involved put in so much to make these practically flawless performances. You may not realize how much goes into pulling these concerts off. From the students learning the music, the teachers who had to listen to us struggle through it in the beginning, and all the people behind the curtain that make the concerts run smoothly, so much time and energy went into these concerts. Congratulations to everyone who performed, it was awesome!