Halloween Events at Cooper

With fall in full swing, students at Cooper are getting into the Halloween spirit. Many events and activities have been held to get everyone excited for October, including parades, dress-up days, and autumn- themed competitions. Students worked with faculty and different clubs to make our campus a fun and spooky place for all.

This was especially true when it came time for the Fall Family Festival, which took place on October 12th. The event was a delightful opportunity for the Lower school students and their parents to engage in fun activities, organized by members of the Interact club. Tenth grade Interact representative Laura Henriquez oversaw the event, alongside other members of the board. When I got a chance to speak to Henriquez, she said that “everyone at the festival had an amazing time, and it truly highlighted the strong community at Cooper.” She went on to say, “the almost forty Interact volunteers were the masterminds behind the event. Without them it wouldn’t have been possible.”

On October 28th, the lower schoolers had their Halloween parade and fall carnival, another opportunity for fun games and student bonding. It also gave older students a chance to show leadership as they helped out with the younger children. The middle school students enjoyed a fall field day on the 28th as well, filled with games and friendly competitions. Speaking of competitions, the National Art Honor Society (NAHS), jumped on the Halloween theme and hosted a pumpkin carving competition. This fun activity prompted club members to get creative, and the results did not disappoint! On the Monday of Halloween, everyone had the chance to participate in yet another competition, a costume contest. Every year students go all out in hopes of winning one of the many categories, but even with the allure of a prize, many students dressed up just for fun. 

Among the hubbub of Halloween, it’s also important to remember the many other cultural holidays happening at this time. Walking through the hallways of the Upper School, you might see brightly colored papel picado and other festive decorations for Día de los Muertos, which takes place on November 1st and 2nd. Hindu holidays such as Diwali, on October 26th, and Chhath Puja, on October 31st are being celebrated by students with the painting of rangolis and eating tasty treats like gulab jamun.

It’s exciting to see the Cooper community coming together during this festive season, and so much is in store for the upcoming months. The school year is well underway, and with Thanksgiving and winter breaks coming up, there are many more celebrations to come.