Life of the Employed Student

This summer, many Cooper students will apply for their first real job, using their time off from school to earn some cash and learn valuable life skills. Taking advantage of the three-month break, students will work as lifeguards, camp counselors, babysitters, and more. Many will leave their jobs as the school year rolls around (being a student is a full-time job, after all) but some will continue to work. During the busy school year, they’ll work on weekends and over breaks, balancing homework, extra-curriculars, and their job. They have to exercise outstanding time-management skills in order to get all their homework done, work their shifts, and find time to practice sports, relax, or go out with friends.

One Cooper student who works during the school year is Tierney Gregory ‘19, who enjoys her job at Grub Burger. Though she says it is sometimes difficult to balance it all (her weekends are busier than her weekdays!), she likes working with her friends and feels good about earning the money she spends. She’s built lifelong friendships, used her Spanish with staff members, and learned how to deal with frustrated customers. She’s also learned that her hard work pays off.

Similar to Tierney, Vinny DeMonico ‘20 works weekends and appreciates the friendships he’s made through work. Vinny works at Dairy Queen; his job has taught him how to manage his time between clubs, school, and work.

Students say they spend most of their earned money on food, gas, and outings with friends. Along with extra spending money, students gain time management skills, appreciation for hard work, and responsibility. It’s a rewarding experience in multiple ways!