Junior Class Field Trips

The Class of 2021 ventured off into the world for two days away from studying, tests, and classes to learn more about Houston, Texas, and each other.

On Sunday, the John Cooper students took their spirit to Minute Maid Park, where they supported the Astros. Special shirts were made with the Astros’ logo and the John Cooper School written on the sleeves; the junior class was in full gear to cheer on their favorite baseball team. Maya Bassila loved that the grade was together outside of a school setting, all cheering for the same team. This gave her a chance to meet new people she wouldn’t normally talk to, and she got to make new connections and learn more about her peers. In the evening the students enjoyed dinner at The House of Blues.

On Monday the grade was split into three groups. Students were given the option to go to the Houston Zoo, the Natural Science Museum, or the Holocaust Museum. The Holocaust museum featured a moving display of stories, items, facts, and diaries about those living through the tragedy. At the Natural Science Museum, students explored various aspects of our world from oil to dinosaurs and gemstones. Students were able to watch an oil and gas demonstration and even eat bugs like crickets. The Houston Zoo was hours of fun for an animal fanatic; flamingos and bears kept the students engaged and interested in the animal kingdom.

After, the Class of 2021 was given a tour of the Houston tunnels which the offices use to get around the area. The guide talked about the history of the tunnels as well as the history of Texas. This tour wasn’t only educational for the students; the teachers learned something new as well. Mrs. Glenn, one of the physics teachers at Cooper, said, “I thought it was fascinating to learn some of the history about the city that we live in. There are so many cool things that I had no idea have happened in Houston and I really got a lot out of that experience.”

The class loved spending time with each other and their teachers. They not only gained new knowledge, but also new friendships and connections.