Custom Kicks in the Community

Custom Kicks is a student project created by four Cooper freshmen: Jacob Bailey, Martin Buberl, Andrs Karst, and Erik Rumelhart. One afternoon, they were all in study hall and began to browse the web for custom Nike Air Force Ones sneakers as a gift for Andrs’s mom. After realizing how much people were charging for the service, Andrs decided to pitch the idea to the group about making their own custom shoes. 

The main goal was to promote school spirit and charity, all through customizing Air Force Ones. The original designs were three-tone green and three-tone pink shoes to coordinate with the Dig Pink side-out event and Cooper spirit. So far, the group has customized 10 pairs for teachers, coaches, students and staff.

This journey has been great for them because it has allowed them to help promote the fight against breast cancer that affects so many people, while also doing what they love. It has helped them learn what it’s like to do a student project and manage their time wisely, not only in business but also with homework as well. This experience has also allowed them to create bonds and relationships in the Cooper community, with the various sports teams as well as students and coaches alike.

Throughout this journey, they have had many individuals who have helped promote and develop their product. One of the biggest helpers on this journey has been Mrs. Musa, who teaches graphic web design for Middle and Upper School students in the art department. During this journey, Mrs. Musa has helped them by teaching them how to paint shoes and by lending her expertise on web and logo design. Other people who were instrumental in this journey have been Mr. John Hoye, who has allowed us to promote their shoes among coaches, and Coach Hedden, who has promoted the shoes by wearing them the week of the event and promoting them among her players. The Marketing Director, Mrs. Holloway, has promoted the group’s efforts through the John Cooper Instagram and the monthly newsletter. They attribute the success of the project to all the various support and promotion from Cooper faculty and staff. 

After Dig Pink, the group would like to continue this project to further give back to the Dig Pink cause by making custom shoes and donating a portion of the proceeds to the cause.