Wellness Week

January 17-20 was Wellness Week in the Upper School, put together by Active Minds. The week, with each day dedicated to an aspect of wellness, was packed with activities.

On Tuesday, with a focus on physical activity and fitness, Wellness Week was kicked off by Dr. Popp and a group of dedicated US students showing up for a 6:30 AM run. Ms. DeMonico also held a stretching class before school. Between classes students were treated to mini donuts thanks to the Parents’ Forum, and lunch was time for a variety of games such as spikeball, a student favorite. Students also got the chance to listen to a sports medicine doctor talk about her job and experiences.

Wednesday, with a focus on emotional wellbeing, started with Ms. Taylor, an art teacher, teaching yoga before school. Active Minds speaker Dayna Altman gave a talk about her mental health journey and baked bread while doing so! 

Thursday, with a focus on nutrition, started off strong with another stretch class before school and free fruit and milk in the Quad in between classes. Students  had a busy lunch with wellness dogs and a talk by a nutritionist.

As Friday was sleep and rest day, it was fitting that students enjoyed the luxury of a late start. As an added bonus, the cafeteria provided a delicious pancake breakfast and free smoothies! It was a busy morning- the dogs were back, and Dr. Estrada led a relaxation activity. Students were later hyped up by Pack the GPAC, the talent show, with incredible performances by their peers. During lunch, Active Minds set up a gratitude poster and mood meter, and Ms. Donahoo gave a talk on the importance of sleep.

While all the activities led to a fun-filled week, most students will probably say that their favorite part was something different: no homework due on Thursday or Friday! This allowed students to have more time at home, get more sleep, and be more present in class. While of course homework is an essential part of school, it was definitely nice to get a break!

Overall, Wellness Week was a strong success, thanks to everyone who helped make it happen. We can’t wait to see what it looks like next year!