The Student Newspaper of The John Cooper School

The Dragon Tales

The Dragon Tales

The Dragon Tales

Rise Against Hunger

Dragons help with food scarcity going on around the world

On October 14th, Interact members went to The Woodlands High School to package food and ship it to places that need food supplies, such as South Africa. Interact is a club in the Upper School that takes part in several service activities that happen within and outside the Cooper Community. The events Interact participates in benefit the community in various manners and they show that Cooper cares about helping with activities in order to make sure events go smoothly, and promote being aware of current issues and how to help.

On that Saturday morning, Cooper Interact members collaborated with Interact clubs from other schools as well. Everyone came together to watch videos about the impact packaging these food ingredients would make, as well as how the process works and sanitation rules. At the Woodlands High School Cafeteria, the Interact members split up into groups, where around 2-4 people would be at a station, depending on what the task was. Once everyone had gloves and a hair net, the volunteers got to work.  

The stations were set up in a line, so once the previous station finished their job, they would give their product to the next station. The beginning stations started with a bag, where they put ingredients such as grains and rice. The amount of ingredients they had to put was specific, because it determined how many meals were being made. They then passed the bag to people who weighed the bag, and if it was under or overweight, people would remove or add rice. Then, the next station consisted of people who sealed the bags, and gave those bags to the group that packaged the bags into boxes that would be shipped.

During the two hours, there was always something to do. Interact members kept themselves busy while fun music was playing. At the end, 19 thousand meals were packaged! Interact members were proud of themselves, and everyone was glad they were able to help the community.