The Student Newspaper of The John Cooper School

The Dragon Tales

The Dragon Tales

The Dragon Tales

Kicking off the Year with Construction

If you’ve found yourself walking by the Dunlap gym over the past couple of months, you’ve likely heard the clanging and banging of construction. Although this may just seem like an annoyance as you walk across campus on your way to class, the loud noises promise something truly exciting.

This past August, John Cooper broke ground on a brand-new athletic facility. Set to be finished by the start of next school year, this building will be an incredible addition to the school’s athletic department. It will be located behind the Dunlap gymnasium and next to the Pugh Field and Pate Track, will total 25,000 square feet, and will include three stories. It will boast new training equipment for every sport, additional fitness rooms, and space designated for more locker rooms and showers for the athletes. It will also include designated areas for coaches, parents and students to gather for athletic meetings and events.

Developed by the same designer who created the beautiful Rock Math and Science Center, the impressive structure will have an elegant and modern feel. With plenty of windows to let in natural light, the building will be a lovely addition to the campus.

Our growing Cooper community and increasingly dedicated athletes has led to space and efficiency running low inside the Dunlap facilities. The arrival of this construction could not have come at a more perfect time, and student athletes can’t wait to expand on our wonderful athletic program. The school has been buzzing with excitement for this new enhancement, and for good reason. Cooper’s generous families, along with passionate leadership and an adaptive student body make opportunities like this building possible. It certainly opens up the possibility for even greater athletic victories in the coming year, and for generations of Cooper students thereafter.